I have gotten comfortable with the "neighborhood" somewhat. I have walked everyday down the street of shops to the "end", and back. The gulf is always on my right going, so that keeps me from getting lost! Each set of buildings has shops on the street, and then you go up to a plaza level. There are shops up there as well. They are not shops we would normally shop in...dress shops, fur shops, wig shops, fancy furniture, jewelry. There are small grocery shops in each one though, and that's where we buy most of our groceries so that we don't have bring back a bunch without a car. We have not eaten out as much as you would imagine. It is so hot, and I guess just being in a new place, we have made lots of smoothies and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. The bread here is really good, so we have bought "fresh" bread.
We took a taxi the other day to eat, and on the way back stopped at a "souk." It was basically just a small fancy mall with handmade items. I bought a bowl and vase from Pakistan. (It is the bowl in the pictures.) Next weekend, I want to go to the "Antique Museum" which is not a museum at all, nor is it antiques, but is supposed to be a warehouse where there are many different handmade items. I think I have figured out that there are not "products" made here by hand so much...but they are brought in from Turkey, Pakistan, Iraq, other middle eastern places, so I'm looking forward to that. There is also a "gold" souk and an "old spice" souk in that area, that is supposed to be neat. This is just my assessment, so may be TOTALLY incorrect...I'll let you know more after we go there!
We have gone to church the last two Sundays at The Fellowship of the Emirates, which I believe is a "branch" of The Fellowship of the Woodlands. It is in a hotel, and is good. We like the pastor's preaching...and it is just awesome to be in church! There are all nationalities there.
I told Dad I wish everyone here would just have a bubble above their head that said what nationality they were, so that I could get some idea of what people looked like from different countries, and the language they spoke. When you walk down the street, it so neat to hear all of the different languages spoken. When I think someone is from "America" usually they open their mouth, and they are at the least European, or speaking an language I have no idea what it is! :)
Monday, all of our "crates" arrived! "Crates" turned out to be boxes...and there were 18 of them! About 10 were clothes...way to many! There were 3 "kitchen" and "decorating" boxes. The rest were golf clubs, a hamper, litter box, potty patch, and folding beach chairs. The pictures included are unpacking and "decorating." The furniture is our one "big" purchase! It is a woven couch, two chairs, and a table.
Well, that's all for now! Life continues to be an adventure, and we continue to go "One Step at a Time!"


No comments:
Post a Comment