Friday, July 29, 2011

I have had some "firsts" since we have been here, and some of them occurred this week!

I have enjoy tremendously a group of ladies who "craft" on Tuesdays! I have brought out my antique cross-stitch, and am sure I will finish it in due time! Some ladies are working on crocheting, knitting, quilting, and even beading. The neat thing about the group is how they have taken me in, and been so welcoming. They are from New Zealand, Australia, Portugal, Hawaii...very sweet ladies! Even though they speak English, I must listen very closely to understand what they are saying! Last week, we rode the Metro and then a Taxi for an hour-and-a-half just to get to "craft," because we meet in members' homes, and we live all over. Then, we turned around after and did the same ride again! At home, I would NEVER have done that...but life is different here!

This Tuesday, "craft" was just down the road, I walked, and made it in thirty minutes! However, I twisted by ankle outside of my destination! They were so sweet to help me, wrap my ankle, give me an ice pack, and bring me home! One of my best adventures!

Another first happened Monday! I rode the Metro by myself! I walked over (about a twenty-minute walk), and scanned my card, and got on the RIGHT train! There is a gold card section, which is a bit nicer...the chairs face forward, and they are larger. I did not pay for THAT card, and there is a women and children section where I can sit, or sit in the general section. I managed to listen for my stop which is announced in Arabic and English. I rode over to the Mall of the Emirates. It is the mall that has skiing! I stood for a good while and just watched those enjoying the snow....with it 106 degrees outside! I have included pictures of the ski slope! On the way back, I stood as there were no seats. Three men attempted to give me their seats, and then I sat when a seat was available. I did it...I am so proud of me! Ha!

It does seem to be getting hotter and hotter, and Ramadan begins next week. From what we can understand, at that time for the month of August, Muslims fast all day...from sun up to sun down. During that time, restaurants and cafes are closed during the day, and it is not acceptable to eat or drink in public. It will be interesting to see how it all works out. I have become accustomed to walking most places, but having an iced coffee when I get there! Experiencing Ramadan this year will be a FIRST for us...God continues to guide One Step at a Time!


Look closely for the Metro!


Entrance to Metro Station


From where we live, I can catch the Metro to most anywhere I want to go. I did not think they would be comfortable with me taking pictures inside of the station.


Ski slope in the Mall of the Emirates! You rent winter clothes along with skiis or sleds!


No comments:

Post a Comment