We have been in Dubai one year! So, we thought it was a good time to celebrate! Larry and I went to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, and it was WONDERFUL! There are so many restaurants here, and every kind of food! There are many American restaurants, some are just like at home...some not so much! Anyway, there are so many things about Dubai that we like, and I want to celebrate those as our first year draws to a close.
One of our favorite things to do is walk down the walkway! We love seeing all the different people! There are many nationalities, and huge variations of dress! I love just listening to all of the languages you hear as you walk along. I STILL cannot tell by "looking" what nationality a person is, or what language they will speak!
I have really enjoyed the Gulf, and the beach. The weather is hot, but I like the sun, and would much rather be hot than cold. The views from our apartment are so fun, with the marina on one side, and the Persian Gulf on the other. The tall, tall buildings are all around us. The way the apartment is situated, you can see through nice windows on all but one side...the elevator side! I also enjoy sitting on the patio. We "inherited" plants with the apartment and have managed to keep them alive! The plants and small pool make the patio so relaxing!
Our lifestyle has changed completely here in Dubai! It is not a change I would want permanently, but one that has been fun! We have no car!!! We walk, or take public transportation everywhere we go. Most of the time, it works perfectly! Larry takes a taxi to work, and the metro home. I use the metro, buses, and taxis. And...we WALK! ALOT!!! We begin our day with a walk around 6:15-7:15. It is so nice for Larry to have the time to walk in the morning. He leaves for work when he is in Dubai around 8:00. Two weeks each month, he is in Iraq. Not fun for me, but it is where the work is. He has had some very unique experiences in Iraq...and really enjoys working with the people there.
We have made some wonderful friends, and have enjoyed learning about different cultures through them. Having been here a year though, I have already begun to lose friends here! Life is very transient, so people are coming and going! Thank goodness for FaceBook and email so that we can stay in touch! We are so blessed to have a wonderful church and church family as well. God is good!
As we enter our second year, we are so blessed! Summer here tends to be a mass exodus during the extreme heat, Ramadan, and trips "back home" to see families. But, we are looking forward to the fall! I have begun teaching ESL to a precious group of Ethiopian ladies, and will continue in the fall. I will also continue teaching 5/6 year olds at church. Of course, I will love that! Larry works with the HUG (Hospitality, Ushers, Greeters) at church, and will continue that as well!
But first, we have big summer plans! We'll be going with The Met in Houston (our home church) on a return trip to see our friends in Uganda in July. Then, home in August...to Houston to visit friends and West Texas to see our parents. We are planning a 90th birthday party for my mom...how fun! Finally, we'll visit our kids and friends in New Braunfels before returning to Dubai.
It has been a fantastic year of adventure! We are so thankful God has led, and continues to lead, One Step at a Time!
 |
| "Our Town" |
 |
| The Walkway! |
 |
| Home Sweet Home |
 |
Our hotel is 20 stories high...it is the SMALL one in the picture. It gives a good perspective of how tall most buildings are! |
 |
| We are on the top left of the building! |
 |
| "My" chair! |
 |
| A picture of the patio taken from inside the apartment. |
 |
| Taxis! |
 |
| This is one of the metro stations, with the train leaving the station. |
 |
| The Burj Khalifa on a very clear day! |
No comments:
Post a Comment