Thursday, April 17, 2014

"Bye-Bye" Dubai-An Amazing Blessing!

Wow! I can’t believe our time in Dubai is over! What an adventure it was! I would have never guessed we would live three years in Dubai, and have such an amazing experience! But you know what? That is our amazing God at work! As I look back on my life, not only has He led me “One Step at a Time,” but His handprint has been all over my life! I am so thankful for that!

We were so blessed to spend time in Dubai! It is difficult to know where to start when it comes to describing our blessings here. I loved where we lived! My absolute favorite thing to do was to WALK!!! We would walk down the JBR Walk, and hear many languages! Just when I would think to myself, “Oh, they are Americans,” they would break into speaking a language that was definitely not English! I loved seeing all of the different clothing, and experiencing all the different cultures. You know, cultures have unique ways of even walking down the street! Some cultures, because of the crowding in their home countries, do not step to the side or “give way” when you walk by, some stand in what Americans would feel their “personal space.” It’s not wrong...it’s just different! Dress is SO DIFFERENT for different cultures! Again, not wrong, just different than what I had experienced! I could wear anything on the JBR Walk, and it would fit right in!

It was such a blessing to get to know and love friends from different countries, speaking different languages, with different backgrounds. To learn about different holidays, and to celebrate them was such a blessing! We celebrated holidays from the UAE, India, Ethiopia, Kuwait...Christian holidays, Hindu holidays, and Muslim holidays. It was just good to be exposed to others’ beliefs! 

The people in Dubai are amazing! There are so many there that have so little materially, but have such a positive attitude, and kind, kind spirit. It was such a blessing to spend time teaching English to sweet friends at the Labor Camps. What friends they became, and I will miss them terribly! 

When we would walk in the morning, usually around 6:00 a.m., we would greet at least ten people before we returned home! I was always greeted with a “Good Morning, Madam, or Mum” I loved it! I have a feeling I will be greeting the trees and bushes on our morning walks out in our new neighborhood! In the evening, our walk was an obstacle course! So many people, so many clothing styles, so many languages, so many high-heeled shoes! Ha!

Our church, Fellowship of the Emirates, was our family! The Kids’ Ministry was my home! The children and teachers were so encouraging and just plain fun! My Ladies Bible Studies learned together and prayed together. Again, so many different experiences coming into the environment from different cultures. Larry served on the HUG team, and met wonderful people, wanting to make others feel welcome at church, and ministering to them there. I loved going to worship and hearing everyone singing in English, but all different kinds of accents! Pastor Jim did a wonderful job of making everyone feel welcome, and everyone understand what God’s message was for us.

You know, God stretched us in Dubai! We were out of our “comfortable!” I want to continue that! With teaching English in the Labor Camps, teaching the children, and becoming bolder in sharing my Faith, God blessed me, and showed me His Grace is sufficient for all circumstances. We were able to go to Uganda more because it was closer, and God grew me there! Our relationships there grew stronger, and deeper.

What is the next chapter? How do you top Dubai? We don’t know, but God does! We know He will continue to bless immeasurably! We know He will continue to comfort, and be everything We need. We know He will continue to lead us One Step at a Time! We can’t wait!!!
Burj Khalifa


Dubai Fountains

Beautiful!!!

I call it the "Twisty Building!"

Luke at the Burj Al Arab
Easter Sunrise Service

Atlantis Hotel

Camel Ride with Emily
Desert Safari with Emily

Desert Safari with Luke



Our "Neighborhood"-JBR Walk

Spices at the Old Spice Souqs




No comments:

Post a Comment