Sunday, October 12, 2014

Uganda, We Love You!

Our trip to Uganda in September was amazing, of course! As before, each time I go is better than the last, and God is ALWAYS present! It was a “dream come true” to be able to go with one of our children. It is my desire that each of them will be able to go with us some day. I missed Larry not being able to go this trip, and that is a “first” that I hope there is not a “second!” He missed being there, and I missed him while I was gone! I went with a mission team from Oakwood Baptist Church, here in New Braunfels. It was an awesome experience to go with them. The service, flexibility, and love shown by those on the team was a huge blessing to me. It was a small group, seven adults! Because we were a small (in numbers) group, there were activities that we were able to do that large groups cannot do, and there were things we were not able to do because we were a small group. ANY group can make a difference, size is not an issue, as GOD is always present!

Mathias had already done some “shopping” for us, so we were able to sort and bag clothes to be taken to a school and village. Larry and I have visited this school and village with clothing before, and they were so excited to see us again! We also went with The Met to this same village this summer, so it was awesome to go there as well. We played games with the kids, and a gospel message was presented at both the village and the school. We also visited Jennifer’s orphanage! She had received a gift of mattresses for the children. We added blankets and sheets, and were able to make the beds! What a blessing for us! Oakwood provided a mission offering to buy the clothing and items for the beds!

When Larry and I were there in August with The Met mission team, we painted the primer on four new orphanage houses at Mashah Village, sponsored by Elevare. This trip, we painted the interior and exterior of one house. Two teams, working together, got it done! We also took cupcakes to the children, and were able to spend the afternoon reading, playing, and visiting with the children. This is such a special time, and one of the things I look SO FORWARD to each time we go.

On Sunday, we divided into pairs and went to four churches in Jinja, Pastors Mathias, Steven, Joseph, and Zachariah’s churches. I always tell the members at Mathias’ church that their worship is very close to Heaven! It is my favorite place to worship ANYWHERE! It was such a blessing to see the children at church again, to see them lead out, say memory verses, sing, and learn about Jesus!

We attended a fund-raiser for Pastor Zachariah’s church! We were able to eat “local” food like chicken, goat, matoke, cassava, and slaw. It was delicious! 

We visited a school where the children are taught to use sewing machines. Adults there also do weaving of cloth! It was absolutely beautiful, and woven on a wooden loom. It was fascinating to watch the woman weave the threads together to make the fabric.

We visited a waterfall, went on the Nile River, and visited the market! These were all amazing experiences, and Surjios was THE BEST hotel, as always!


For some time now, when I get off the plane in Entebbe, I have an overwhelming sense of being home! We are praying for how God will lead us in Uganda in the future! We absolutely love it there, the people, the country, and our family that is there. We are praying expectantly, as God leads us One Step at a Time!   

I wanted to include some pictures of the beautiful children we see that cross our paths! They are such blessings to me, and I wanted you to see these sweet blessings! More specific pictures are included with explanations after these sweet angels!












Our Son and Daughter in Uganda!
This is Peace! Last October, she cried when she saw me! I had never met her, and doubt she had even seen any Mzungus, or "White" people.

Twin babies in the village we visited. They were being raised by a single mom.

Children in the village.

Pastor Mathias opening one of the bales of clothing.

Our group sorting and bagging clothing to be given away.

Mission Team from Oakwood 


Julie and I making one of the beds at Jennifer's orphanage.

Children at the school, waiting to receive an article of clothing! 

Precious!

School children playing with the parachute!

Be still my heart! How precious is this???

Pastor Mathias and Pastor Steven at the village.

Amazing, dear friends on our trip!

Pastor Joseph spreading the Gospel in the village.

Pure Blessing to me!

Woman at her "stand" in the market.

Dinner anyone?

Sweet, sweet girls at Mashah Village Orphanage!

Cupcakes! Yum!

Emily and Issac!

The Falls

Pastor Mathias preparing a special treat for us, delicious, fresh, pineapple!

One of my favorite pictures of Emily…and the Nile!

Painting like pros!

Awesome painters!

The outside too!

Selfie of Em and some friends!

They shared their toys with her! She tried the game of making the tire roll with a stick!

An angel on earth!

Weaving beautiful fabrics!

Amazing work done on a loom!

Necklaces made by rolling magazine paper strips to make beads.

Our groups heading to churches on Sunday!

Jack Fruit! Yum!

Mashah children, their Mamas, and the house we painted!

Emily, Marjorie, and Me!



No comments:

Post a Comment